20.3.09

Leg o' mutton gloves in organic wool




My favourite material for knitting: Wool, gone organic. Organically produced wool guarantees the sheep can free range and are fed organic feedstuff (thus no GMOs or chemical warfare on agricultural land involved). The land is also being taken care of by prohibiting overgrazing it. A big difference in the organic farming system is that it does not use antibiotics and other drugs except for sick animals. That sounds like stating the obvious, doesn't it, but in conventional sheep farming the drugs are often a routine procedure. I'm not going to all the dirty details of the toxic (yes, also to the agricultural workers) compounds that the sheep are dipped in, or the chemical treatment of wool. More information can be found on Organic Clothing's wool facts, on the pages of Soil Association and on the factsheet of the Organic Trade Association.

This specific pure and white organic wool is a very thick and soft one, but don't let it steal the show. Instead do also note the leg o' mutton gloves. I found the pattern from Yearofthegoat at Etsy and couldn't resist it. I love the round, exaggerated shape. I've been thinking these gloves would be good in the Nordic spring with warm days yet cold mornings and evenings when it's good to wear an extra layer. I'm still only dreaming of those warm days while walking in sleet and slush or ice, but since this pair is my friend's birthday present I have time to make another pair for myself before the winter spring is over.

Yarn: Sirdar eco wool dk.
For 5 mm needles, but did fine on 5,5 also.

Ps. My love for the sculpture-like knits was definitely influenced by Warmi autumn-winter collection.

Ei kommentteja: