12.5.09

Recommended podcasts

Steve Pavlina blogged some weeks ago about enhancing ones productivity with listening to audiobooks. The timing was perfect and I found podcasts and have been in love since.
At work I have my hands busy and my mind (sometimes, at best) free (& no internet anywhere near) so listening to podcasts is a perfect match. Doing a task with my hands really goes well with listening to an in-depth interview or a long lecture, for my concentration is exceptionally good. None of the internet stuff that usually shortens my span of attention around. And it is a freedom to have access to the world of information even though I'm doing some very practical work of a different nature. Suits me well.

So far my favourite podcasts are:

  • The Sustainable World Radio. The one-hour radio show with a lovely host has in-depth interviews on topics around environment and sustainablity. The show is really inspiring and positive, I love the way it brings the focus to the projects and people working on solutions and new ways of doing things instead of speculating problems. This is not a show of mere talk, but the guests work on the topics hands-on.
  • Gardens Illustrated podcasts have lectures and discussions with "iconic figures in the world of gardening", landscape designers and such. Listening to their guerilla gardening podcast I was suprised by how the lecture about planting illegal urban gardens turned into a valid discussion about the state of the public landscapes.
  • Then there's the TeaCast. It's a very interesting show entirely about teas and tea drinking. So that’s (also) for you if you think an one hour discussion on green tea varieties sounds thrilling.

Best thing being, the variety of podcasts is immense! I easily get carried away with things like these, which I guess is why I am now listening to a lecture in French about bio-art even though I don’t understand French. But, really, listening to French talk is quite nice.

Ei kommentteja: